Information for students
These pages are intended for students of the educational institutions in Darmstadt, Germany. Students who are studying in other countries must apply for an IAESTE internship through the committee in their home country. The IAESTE local committee Darmstadt provides internships for the students of the following universities:
- TU Darmstadt,
- h_da Darmstadt,
- EH Darmstadt, also for
- Goethe-Universtät Frankfurt am Main and
Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz.
There are internships offered both in the industry as well as in research institutes, mostly with an scientific/engineering background.
There are places both in industry and at research institutes. Most IAESTE internships last about 2-3 months and often take place during the summer months. The internships are always remunerated; the earnings depend on the typical cost of living of the country. IAESTE takes care of the housing search for the interns and takes care of all necessary formalities. This service is free of charge for students enrolled in Germany. This is made possible by the integration of the IAESTE programme into the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
How to get an internship with IAESTE?
The following requirements must be met when applying for an IAESTE internship:
- You must be a registered student at a German educational institution at the time of the formal application: TU Darmstadt, h_da Darmstadt, EH Darmstadt, Goethe-Universtät Frankfurt am Main oder Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz.
- You are studying in the third semester or higher
- For internships outside the EU: You must be in possession of a passport which remains valid throughout the proposed internship period. A national ID card is not sufficient!
Additional points to consider:
- For internship positions in some countries (e.g. USA, Korea, Japan, many EU countries) a certificate of conduct from the police is required. You can apply for this at the police station in your home town. Please take into consideration that the application of this certificate can take additional time.
- Some employers ask for an additional letter of recommendation (in English) when applying for an internship. This can be a letter from a previous employer, or from the university. Our experience shows that many faculties have a template for this type of letter prepared. Just visit your favorite professor and ask.
If you meet the requirements for an IAESTE internship, you can take part in the regular application process.
From October we will open the pre-application procedure. This runs on the IAESTE Exchange Platform (EP). There you have to register as a student, enter your data and upload the following files:
- Letter of motivation, which we use to decide who we would like to offer an internship abroad. The letter is intended for us (not for the potential employer) and should show why and to what extent you are interested in cultural exchange and work experience abroad.
- Transcript of Records (auf Englisch)
- Certificate of registration
- English language certificate
Only when all documents are complete, we can verify you and take the next steps!
Depending on the specified boundary conditions (country requirements, period, qualifications), an attempt will then be made to exchange suitable internship offers for our applicants. This takes place at national conferences organized by the DAAD, in which we as LC Darmstadt will participate.
As we currently receive about 7 places per year in Darmstadt, and the number of applicants is around 40, we can not offer every applicant a suitable internship. For several interested students on an available internship we then decide on the basis of the pre-applications.
If we were able to assign you an internship, you have to decide if you definitely accept the offer, i.e. want to send a compulsory application to the employer. Afterwards you will receive from us all documents that are necessary for the final application. The final feedback will be received in April.
Die Deadline für die Abgabe einer Vorbewerbung und des Motivationsschreibens ist jedes Jahr Anfang Januar (nächste Frist: 15. Januar 2021). Die vermittelten Praktika finden dann in den darauffolgenden Monaten (meist im Sommer) statt.
More information can be found here.
After the internship offers have been distributed in the regular application procedure, some internships offers may still be remaining. These remaining internships are often quite interesting and will be redistributed in a post-exchange session independently from the online pre-applications.
In addition to the regular one-year rotation for internships, there are COBE and FCFS (First-come-first-serve) offers. These are updated throughout the year and it's worth checking out the current list from time to time. You can find them under this link. If you are interested in a place, simply contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help you.
COBE Offers are offers for which the employer receives several applications. For FCFS-Offers you have to be fast: Here there is only one application for a position, which is awarded after the first-come first-serve principle.
Advantages of an IAESTE internship
In many countries, it is anyway mandatory, but in any case, a health insurance is vitally important. Furthermore, an accident and a liability insurance, which is valid abroad, is highly recommended.
The DAAD offers IAESTE interns a cost-effective combined health, accident and liability insurance. The insurance premium (tariff 720 / A) has been a constant € 32.00 per month since 01.12.2015. You can find the insurance conditions for interns hier.
Applying for insurance for IAESTE interns is done in different ways, depending on whether you have applied for a travel allowance or not.
If you have applied for a travel allowance or plan to do so, then you can also take out the insurance via the DAAD portal. If you are not applying for a travel allowance, you can email the application for insurance directly to our office.
Students of all disciplines who would like to complete an internship prescribed or recommended by the respective faculty can apply for a travel allowance from the DAAD. The amount of the subsidy depends on the destination country.
More information can be found here
- Gültiger Reisepass bzw. Personalausweis (nur für die EU)
- Auslandskrankenvericherung, ebenso Unfall- und Haftpflichtversicherung.
- Genügend Geld für den ersten Monat
- Studienbescheinigung Eurer Universität
- Internationaler Studienausweis, gibt es beim Asta
- Digitalkamera mit ausreichend Speicherplatz
- Gute Wanderschuhe
- Warme Kleidung (auch in der Wüste kann es kalt werden)
- Adapter für den dortigen Stromanschluss
- Evtl. Schlafsack, Bettzeug und Mosktionetz
- Optional: Infomaterial über Deutschland, ein paar Gastgeschenke
If necessary, you apply for the visa by submitting the form N / 5a (provided by us), the employer confirmation, and any other enclosed documents directly from the responsible consulate or embassy. Since from time to time legal changes may occur, you should inform yourself in good time about the current status of the entry requirements. We like to support you.