Information for students
These pages are intended for students of the educational institutions in Darmstadt, Germany. Students who are studying in other countries must apply for an IAESTE internship through the committee in their home country. The IAESTE local committee Darmstadt provides internships for the students of the following universities:
- TU Darmstadt
- h_da Darmstadt
- EH Darmstadt
- Goethe-Universtät Frankfurt am Main
- Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
- TH Aschaffenburg
There are internships offered both in the industry as well as in research institutes, mostly with an scientific/engineering background.
There are places both in industry and at research institutes. Most IAESTE internships last about 2-3 months and often take place during the summer months. The internships are always remunerated; the earnings depend on the typical cost of living of the country. IAESTE takes care of the housing search for the interns and takes care of all necessary formalities. This service is free of charge for students enrolled in Germany. This is made possible by the integration of the IAESTE program into the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
How to get an internship with IAESTE?
The following requirements must be met when applying for an IAESTE internship:
- You must be a registered student at a German educational institution at the time of the formal application: TU Darmstadt, h_da Darmstadt, EH Darmstadt, Goethe-Universtät Frankfurt am Main, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz oder TH Aschaffenburg.
- You are studying in the third semester or higher
Some employers ask for an additional letter of recommendation (in English) when applying for an internship. This can be a letter from a previous employer, or from the university. Our experience shows that many faculties have a template for this type of letter prepared. Just visit your favorite professor and ask.
We have two processes how to get an internship:
1. Process: regular process with annual deadline Mid of January
If you meet the requirements for an IAESTE internship, you can take part in the regular application process.
From October we will open the pre-application procedure. This runs on the IAESTE Exchange Platform (EP). There you have to register as a student, enter your data and upload the following files:
- Letter of motivation, which we use to decide who we would like to offer an internship abroad. The letter is intended for us (not for the potential employer) and should show why and to what extent you are interested in cultural exchange and work experience abroad.
- Transcript of Records
- Certificate of registration
- English language certificate
Only when all documents are complete, we can verify you and take the next steps!
The deadline for submitting a pre-application and letter of motivation is at the beginning of January each year (next deadline: 12 January 2020). The internships then take place in the following months (usually in summer).
2. Process: all-year application process
In addition to the regular one-year rotation for internships, there are so-called COBE and FCFS (first-come-first-served) offers. These are updated throughout the year, and it's worth checking the current list every now and then. Applications for these are open all year round! You can find them in the IAESTE Exchange Platform or at this link. If you are interested in an internship, just contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help you.
COBE Offers are offers for which the employer receives several applications. For FCFS-Offers you have to be fast: Here there is only one application for a position, which is awarded after the first-come first-serve principle.
Advantages of an IAESTE internship
In many countries, it is anyway mandatory, but in any case, a health insurance is vitally important. Furthermore, an accident and a liability insurance, which is valid abroad, is highly recommended.
The DAAD offers IAESTE interns a cost-effective combined health, accident and liability insurance. The insurance premium (tariff 720 / A) has been a constant € 32.00 per month since 01.12.2015. You can find the insurance conditions for interns hier.
Applying for insurance for IAESTE interns is done in different ways, depending on whether you have applied for a travel allowance or not.
If you have applied for a travel allowance or plan to do so, then you can also take out the insurance via the DAAD portal. If you are not applying for a travel allowance, you can email the application for insurance directly to our office.
Students of all disciplines who would like to complete an internship prescribed or recommended by the respective faculty can apply for a travel allowance from the DAAD. The amount of the subsidy depends on the destination country.
More information can be found here
- Gültiger Reisepass bzw. Personalausweis (nur für die EU)
- Auslandskrankenvericherung, ebenso Unfall- und Haftpflichtversicherung.
- Genügend Geld für den ersten Monat
- Studienbescheinigung Eurer Universität
- Internationaler Studienausweis, gibt es beim Asta
- Digitalkamera mit ausreichend Speicherplatz
- Gute Wanderschuhe
- Warme Kleidung (auch in der Wüste kann es kalt werden)
- Adapter für den dortigen Stromanschluss
- Evtl. Schlafsack, Bettzeug und Mosktionetz
- Optional: Infomaterial über Deutschland, ein paar Gastgeschenke
If necessary, you apply for the visa by submitting the form N / 5a (provided by us), the employer confirmation, and any other enclosed documents directly from the responsible consulate or embassy. Since from time to time legal changes may occur, you should inform yourself in good time about the current status of the entry requirements. We like to support you.